Taking propranolol for migraine. Knuckles started getting darker. Side effect of medicine?

Nov 2013

I am 30 years old. I am taking propranolol 40mg 1 a day for migraines.I am a female. I am worried that my knuckles are getting darker on my hands. Could it be the medicine. Should I stop taking it.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Propranolol is a safe and effective medicine for prevention of migraine headaches.

I wish to reassure you that the darkening of knuckles is not related to propranolol. So, if the medicine is helping you with migraines, please continue it and there is no need to stop it.

In my practice, the most common reason for darkening of knuckes is blood test.

If the symptom is troubling you or if it increases in severity, you may see a dermatologist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist