Taking omnacortil 10 mg for rheumatoid arthritis. Started gaining weight. Is there any safe treatment?

My mother is taking Omnacortil 10 mg for Rheumatoid Arthritis, she has gain around 20-25 kg after taking thiu medicine for 4 years, she has consulted few doctors but Omnacortil dose is remain same. Over the period her blood pressure has also become high and she has started taking tablet for High Blood Pressure
Is there any safe treatment for her Rheumatoid Arthritis condition or Omnacortil is the only medicine for her condition.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 9 hours later
It is not right that your mother is only on Omnacortil for her Rheumatoid arthritis.
This medicine is generally given in addition to other medicines called DMARDs and also if they are given for long periods of time they cause significant side effects.

So I suggest that you immediately consult with a rheumatologist , have her assessed for her disease activity and also get her blood tests for her CBC ESR, LFT and rheumatoid factor.

Subsequently she should be started on medicines like Methotrexate, Hydroxychloroquine for arthritis and as these medicines take effect the omnacortil can be tapered down and either stopped or reduced to the minimum.

Lastly she needs to be on some form of exercise for her weight, arthritis and her hypertension.

I hope I have been helpful.
please contact me if you have any further doubts.