Taking medicine for sacroiliac pain. Lung stopped working after taking entonox. What's wrong?

hi im on 30/500 mg co codamol.. 600mg of gabapentin.. after 2 hrs and pain severe i take 1 10mg of zomorph... on way to hospital in ambulance.. my sacroillicas were very painful... i was administered entonox... it was doin fine .. taking the edge off the pain... pain got worse.. i inhaled entononx deeper after about 5 XXXXXXX inhalations....... i passed out and stopped breathing... the med guy in back of ambulance said.. my eyes rolled into the back of my head.. heart beating fine.. 75 bpm........ but lungs stopped working...... had to give me mouth to mouth and compressions on chest... then after a min . i inhaled deeply on my own.. sat upright and screamed at the guy... XXXXXXX whats going on!"......... any happened a few times......... yet at hospital my sats were 100 percent... ECG was perfect....... blood pressure fine to......... did it happen coz entonox was mixed with the meds i was on..... the meds were taken 2 1/2 hrs previous...... any ideas what had happened to me??
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hi. Thank you for your query.

Once entonox is inhaled it causes an air pocket inside the body, which is then rapidly absorbed from the space into the blood stream. This can cause the onset and development of a pneumothorax, which can restrict expansion of the lung and in simple words even stop the lungs from working.

Thus, what could have most probably happened is that the after the first few doses of entonox, the air-pocket would not have been completely absorbed, or there could have been trapped air, which would have restricted the lung to expand (required to breathe), and thus resulted in the symptoms you experienced.

Also, one of the side effects of entomox administration is an artificial, spontaneous or traumatic pneumothorax.

I hope this helps. Please write back to me for any further clarifications. The repeated administration of entomox should be avoided or carried out only when completely necessary.

Best wishes.