Taking medicine for hypertension and cholesterol. Test showed low bone mineral density. Medication?

Aug 2012

Hi ,
My aunty is 71 yrs old and taking medicines for heart related issues such as hypertension,cholesterol . It has been detected in a recent check up that she has very low mineral density and in a close range of osteoporosis. what kind of medicine can she take (keeping in mind her heart condition). One of out family physician has given Gem cal kit to my mom for the similar kind of osteoporosis problem. So can my aunty also take the same medicine or any other medicine would be be better for her ?
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

For very low bone mineral density of a women aged 71 years there are options like these in India:

1. If the patient can afford then the best treatment is giving her parathyroid hormone in pulses. You will need to discuss this with an Endocrinologist who will guide you for it. But this therapy is expensive.
For patients who are not sure if they should spend on this medication when they have money, we tell them that if the chances of the old lady are high to XXXXXXX with fractures very easily then the quality of life of her and her relatives takes a toll and it's better to spend on this medication rather than the post fracture pains and expenses.
2. For patients who cannot afford this medication at all one more proven therapy known as Bisphosphonate therapy exists. For this also you need to discuss with Endocrinologist on deciding if she is the candidate for this therapy and frequency, doses and drug holidays. This therapy is moderate in expenses.
3. If the patient unlikely to live longer life due to other illnesses (as predicted by her doctor) then providing her with calcium and vitamin D the way your mother is taking is more than enough and cheapest option.

I hope you got the answer. For any related query, please get back.
Follow-up: Taking medicine for hypertension and cholesterol. Test showed low bone mineral density. Medication? 44 hours later
So - can she take gem cal kit or any other medicine would be a better call for calcium and minerals.

Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 35 minutes later
Calcium supplement and Vit D are both available over the counter and Brand names are Tab Shelcal 500 mg to be taken after food twice a day and Calcirol satchet to be taken once in 15 days. She can take these supplements.