Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking medicine for epididymitis. Noticed redness and soreness on penis head. Normal?

Jul 2016

Hello: I have been told I have epididymitus, and I am on antibiotics. I tried cipro, and now on sulfameth/trimethoprim. it has been weeks now, and the scrotum pain is gone, but i have redness and sore tenderness on the tip of the penis (more so underneath the tip). Is there anything topical I can use on the penis? Will warm baths help, or should I ice the area? Any help you can offer would be so appreciated.
Is this redness and soreness (of the penis) a normal symptom of this condition? This has me so very worried! Thank You!!!
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have infection of a genito urinary tract - involving Epididymitis and Urethra (more precisely External Urinary Meatus).

1. Do you have history fod diabetes? Get your Blood sugar levels done on empty stomach and 2 hours after lunch to rule out the same
2. Is there a discharge from the penis sores? - If you have some discharge from the urethral opening, the sample can be studied under microscope and cultured to isolate the causative organisms.

Continue the antibiotics that you are taking now for couple of days as per advised by your Physician.You may add to take anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen twice daily and topical antibiotic like Neosporin for local application over tip of the penis and meatus after discussing with treating doctor.

The symptoms you reported seems to be less sinister problem and will get cured eventually. So stay assured.

Hope I have answered your query.Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.