Taking medical hair removal laser treatment. Skin around my eyes has burnt and peeled. Having headache

I have been running a class 4 medical hair removal laser 10 hours a day 4X a week for the past 6 months with the improper safety glasses. The skin around my eyes has burnt and peeled several times I am having trouble seeing at night and have lost a great deal of vision. Also experiencing constant headaches and I am extremely sensitive to light. I am sure this is from using improper eye wear, but could there be any serious damage to my eyes?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 6 hours later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
There are two different aspects to your problem,the outer skin and inner eye issues.
Get your eye checked up immediately to have an idea of your basic level.This is unlikely to be related to laser and what you are having is a presbyopia,which is common at your stage.
Outer skin issue can be taken up by either the eye doctor or dermatologist and can be taken care of by medication.
To relieve you of this stress why don't we start using proper protection right away.
The light sensitivity is another important aspect that is to be tackled by the doctor if there is any epithelial defect or not.
So, have a eye checkup and start using protection.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Follow-up: Taking medical hair removal laser treatment. Skin around my eyes has burnt and peeled. Having headache 1 hour later
I have already been to an optometrist, an ophthalmologist, and a neurologist, and have had many tests including 2 mri's, and a spinal tap. None of them can seem to figure out what has caused the optic nerve damage that has shown up in the tests, even though I tell them I suspect it is laser radiation damage they keep looking for tumors, aneurisms etc... I am now scheduled to see a neuro-ophthalmologist. I definitely feel this injury has been caused by the laser but nobody seems to want to do the research. The fact that this is such a rare occurrence leads me to believe I need to see a laser expert. Can you refer me to someone that may better understand the dangers of near infrared wavelengths and potential damage that occur?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 12 hours later
Thanks for getting back to us.
In optic nerve daamage that is the protocol which is followed.
In view of these tests being negative a possibility of demylinating disease is to be considered and that may be influnced by electromagnetic radiation.I have just had a patient who had optic neuritis,we found no cause but later on realized that he had a mobile transmission tower in front of his house.
These are new modalities of diseases and are not much given in text books and too much research is also not taking place as you will remember happened media reports about brain tumer associated with mobile use.
Instead of a radiologist guiding you about this i feel a neurologist should be the proper person to guide you in these circumstances.
Please get back to in case of any further assistence in this regard.
Follow-up: Taking medical hair removal laser treatment. Skin around my eyes has burnt and peeled. Having headache 4 days later
Is there any treatment to get rid of the headaches and get my vision back? How do I get a doctor to listen when I tell them the specific details of my injury, and document it so that I may continue with my insurance claim?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
thanks for getting back to us.
For headache we have to get to the root cause of the problem.
The cause of headache and rest of the problems are usually to be explained by single disease.
Otherwise you have to take care of your self by life style management.
Proper diet,exercise and proper rest should do the trick.
Explain your situation to the doctor and there is no reasonwhy they will not listen to you attentively,as you do have a genuine problem