Taking lisinopril and carvedilol for BP. Noticed nose bleed. Suggest suitable way to reduce BP at night?

Dec 2012

My doctor has me take one Lisinopril-40 mg and one Carvedilol-12.5 mg twice a day to control my high BP. It works good. Most of the time it will range from 105/56 to 139/80, but usually 124/68 unless I get stressed or nervous. So she gave me Clonidine-0.1mg to take if it goes over 160. Recently I had to have little places in my nose cauterized. The next night I had a nose bleed around 3am. After I called the ENT, he said something about high blood pressure. So since I usually have to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the night, I've checked my BP and it was high. Sometimes 179/90 and 189/95 etc. Not knowing what to do, I've taken the Clonidine and went back to sleep. It's still up a little when I get up in the morning, but not that high. As soon as I take my other BP meds. in the morning, it goes right back to normal. I sleep very well and sound and wouldn't wake during the night if I didn't have to go to the bath room, but I go right back to sleep. When I wake up in the mornings, I'm full or energy and raring to go, no gasping or snoring, so I don't think it would be Sleep Apnea, but also when my BP is that high, my pulse rate is normal, usually 70. Is there anything I could do to bring the pressure down during the night, maybe sleep differently. I usually sleep on my sides. I always have good energy, exercise, etc. Generally healthy. I'm 77.
Thank you for any advice.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be an abnormal situation

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Normally your BP should not rise when you are at rest and if it does, there you must be going through an abnormal physiologic process at night or maybe stress (probably due to bad dreams).
If stress causes your BP to spike at night, then you might require anxiolytic drugs such as clonazepam or diazepam to help with your sleep and anxiety at night.
These medications can also help you bring down your BP.
I suggest you consult with a cardiologist first so that your heart can properly be evaluated before you start taking any medications.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Feel free to write back if you have follow-up questions.
Dr. Nsah