Taking insulin to control diabetes. Found high blood sugar level. Should I increase insulin dose?

my mother is taking mixtard 30/70 insulin 8u in morning and 8u in evening. today her blood sugar level was 260/154 mg/dl. should i increase her insulin dosage
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Her sugars are high.
If she had normal or better levels with mixtard 8 units, you may increase the insulin dosage by 4-6 units and recheck fasting and post meal sugars.
I would advise you to make changes In consultation with your doctor. Keep a watch on signs of hypoglycemia (low sugars) like sweating, drowsiness, tingling, numbness etc.

Also watch for any fever, urinary complaints which increase sugar levels. Keep regular checks.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!
As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!