Taking hormone treatment to donate eggs and due for lupron. Emotionally unstable. Should I quit all the medications?

Infertility Specialist
I am in the middle of hormone treatment to donate my eggs. I'm scheduled to be given lupron tonight. I have become emotionally unstable and want to stop this process now. Can I just quit all meds and will be ok?
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need progesterone.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
If you want to abandon this cycle, you need two things. One is to avoid sexual intercourse for at least 7-10 days & preferably till next menses.
Second is progesterone tablets to prevent excessive bleeding during next menses. Normally we prescribe medroxyprogesterone 10 mg twice daily for 10-14 days, but as this is prescription only drug you need to consult your physician for the same.
But my advice is to go ahead with the cycle, as emotional stress of abandoning the cycle will be much more later.
Hope this helps in decision making.
Let me know if you have other concerns.
Follow-up: Taking hormone treatment to donate eggs and due for lupron. Emotionally unstable. Should I quit all the medications? 27 minutes later
What do you mean by go ahead with the cycle? I don't want to donate my eggs anymore. Do I still need to have the retrieval surgery or take the Lupron injection? I'm scheduled to take Ganirelix this morning and don't want to!!!
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need not go ahead if decision is firm & final.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
When you started the whole process of egg donation, you had some purpose in mind. If you don't complete the cycle now, that purpose will not be fulfilled. Whatever emotional instability you are experiencing might be temporary & might fade in few days. Later you should not regret for the decision taken today.

Nobody can force you for egg donation. If you have made your mind & if your decision not to donate eggs is final, you can skip Lupron injection & retrieval. In that case, you need to consult your physician for the prescription mentioned already.