Taking glycomet for diabetes. Sugar level is controlled. How to lower triglyceride and LDL level?

Jan 2013

I am 31 and I have been diaglosed with type 2 diabetic 4 years back. I have been doing gym and my sugar levels are controlled, however my triglycerides level and LDL is not going down. what should I do.. I do take regular intake on sorbiline, also diabeties take, galvus 50 and Glycomet GP2.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 56 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know your blood sugar status and complete lipid profile.
Do you have positive family history of diabetes?
Does your blood sugar gets controlled with use of oral tablets?
Do you have positive family history of early heart disease? (Early heart disease is considered in female <65 years and in male <55 years).
Do you have an active or sedentary life?
Are you a smoker?

Diabetes is due to progressive destruction of beta cells, present in endocrinal part of pancreas.
When diabetes has been diagnosed then only less than 20 % beta cells remains in pancreas.
Rate of destruction of beta cell vary person to person.
So a person who is suffering from Type II diabetes and taking oral medicine for control of sugar, this may be possible that oral medicine have stopped working at any time of life and insulin is required.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of Maturity onset diabetes in young.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for thorough check up and serum C peptide level.

Treatment of Dyslipidemia (deranged lipid profile) is decided by presence / absence of risk factors.
Smoking, age > 45 years, sedentary life, first degree relative with positive early heart disease 140/90 mm Hg, Diabetes are considered as risk factors.
Treatment of Dyslipidemia is decided by LDL level and should read ATP III guidelines.
If < 2 risk factors are present then LDL should be < 160 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is <20% then LDL should be <130 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is >20%, diabetes then LDL should be <100 mg%.
You can download calculator from following site: WWW.WWWW.WW For very high risk patients, LDL should be < 70 mg%.

Your LDL must be 70mg%.

Life style modifications are required in your case.
You should take low fat diet and live physically active life.
You should continue brisk exercise 30 minutes per day, at least 5 days in a week.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should remain in touch.
You should also take lipid lowering agents.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Taking glycomet for diabetes. Sugar level is controlled. How to lower triglyceride and LDL level? 32 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for prompt reply, I will scan and upload latest lipid profile report and will await for your response.

I have a active life style, as I do exercise and 30-45 min cardio daily

I am non smoker, my father has a issue of low sugar and my mother has high sugar, both are type 2 diabetic

I had a heart stroke in 2008, one of my artery was 100% block, dr. said that the blood had a tendency to clot, but that was taken care, no stunt or sugery, and was on Plavix 50, Cardace, Betalog, ecospring for 1 year
now I don't take any of these medicines.

Heart and Diabeties is in our family history, All deaths in our family from my grandparents to uncles and cousin brother (23 Yrs) died because of heart stroke.

Wil share my report soon my be on Sunday.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Your history and details suggests possibility of hereditary dyslipidemia running in your family.
You should take medicines for life long under guidance of your treating doctors.
Your lipid profile must be in controlled range.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava