Taking fenofibrate. Now having ALT and AST levels high. Should I continue fenofibrate?

I have been taking fenofibrate several years for cholesterol and triglycerides. It has really helped those levels but now the ALT and AST on my metabolic panel are high. If I stop the fenofibrate will that get those levels back to normal?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
welcome to healthcare magic
i read your mail with deligence
as you are using finofibrate , which usually have side effect of elevation of liver enzymes , which is usally dose related. And after stopping the drug this will normalise.
And you have to evaluate for other causes of elevation of liver engymes like hepatitis, alcohol, any infections and other medication.
Coming to after stopping finofibrate you can restart that with lower levels , under monitoring of enzymes.
You can start others like statins which also dicrease both cholesterol and triglycerides. these should be done after discussing with your local docter.
You can also start nonmedical measures like avoid high cholesterol diet, junk food, do regular exercise.
thank you.