Taking doxycycline for syphilis. Felt swollen lymph node in neck. Required treatment?

I recently tested positive for syphillis, and immediately began a 10 day course of doxycycline 100 mg bid. I only had 10 days, and am headed into a clinic for further treatment/testing. What would be an appropriate course of therapy for me now? I feel good except for sore lymph nodes in my neck, and axilla bilaterally. thanks Dr. Grief
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Although penicillin's are the best choice for treating syphilis, I am guessing you either refused to take the IV injections or have a penicillin-allergy. Only in such situations, are we allowed to prescribe alternatives (eg. doxycycline).

The dose of 100 mg BID of doxycycline is adequate, but for a duration of 14 days, and not just 10. Please discuss the same with your doctor and complete the course.

Now coming to the follow-up. You will have to visit your doctor in order to monitor your response. Both clinical and serological (laboratory) changes and their normalization are the endpoints for treatment of syphilis. Thus, until this is achieved your doctor will have to monitor or even if required, request you to continue with the antibiotics.

Follow-up is the most vital part of your treatment and safety. Thus, please visit your doctor as and when he/she schedules a follow-up visit. Also report to your doctor as soon as you experience any symptoms. Other than this, abstaining from sexual contact for a while and later practicing safe sex is a mandatory.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.