Taking coumadin medication. Safe to get ears pierced?

I'm on Coumadin 5 mg. po qhs and Plavix 75 mg. po qd. Would it be safe to get my ears pierced?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Radhika 7 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Coumadin belongs to the group of medications called as anticoagulants.

When you take such medications it is advised not to do body piercing of any kind. This is not advisable due to possible serious bleeding. This includes ear piercing. In fact any cuts and grazes have to be dealt with at home by applying pressure to the area.

Also it is better not to take alcohol, Cranberry juice, food high in Vitamin k and any kind of sports that can cause injury.

You are also taking Plavix, during which normally it is advised not to undergo any body piercing until 36 hrs after taking the medication. So since both drugs can create a problem it is best to avoid the piercing.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.