Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking cipro for Hematuria. Renal ultrasound normal. What are the chances of urinary bladder cancer?

Question
Yes i had gross hematuria 4 weeks ago saw my gp gave me cipro for one week uas at 3 and 7 days showed clear saw a uro one week ago said i had a trace of blood clear cysto and cytology negative did renal ultrasound yesterday but i had noblood yesterday in ua what are the chances this is bladder cancer and what is the next step the blood showing again last week freakedme out should i be concerned.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 14 hours later

Gross hematuria may occur due to several reasons. In young adults, infection or stones are more likely causes. Whereas, in older persons, it may be due to malignancy or infection.

You have a negative ultrasound and urine cytology and seemed to have responded to a course of antibiotics. It is more likely that you had an episode of infection which has settled.

It would be advisable to repeat a urine test after a week. If the urine test continues to show red blood cells, you should consider a Computerized Tomography (CT) scan of the urinary tract in consultation with your urologist.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries that you may have.

Thanks.
Dr Vineet Malhotra

Follow-up: Taking cipro for Hematuria. Renal ultrasound normal. What are the chances of urinary bladder cancer? 3 hours later
I had a neegative cat scan negative cystoscopy anb negative urinne cytology I am awaiting rhe results os the renal ultra sound if this also comes out negative thenwhat is the mext step

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 7 hours later

Thanks for your response

A negative cat scan, cystoscopy and urine cytology practically rules out the possibility of malignancy within the urinary tract. If you are not on any blood thinning medication,
it seems likely that this was an episode of infection which has now settled.

I would advise you to repeat your urine test after a week and see if red blood cells persist. Microscopic hematuria may persist for some time after control of infection.
If they persist for longer than a month, your urologist might consider diagnostic flexible ureteroscopy to see for some rare cause of persistent hematuria. (Malformation of blood vessel within ureter or kidney).
I am of the opinion that you are most likely dealing with a urinary infection and should recover soon.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be happy to answer any follow-up questions that you may have.

If you are satisfied with the response, please close the discussion.

Wishing you good health

Regards.
Dr Vineet Malhotra

Follow-up: Taking cipro for Hematuria. Renal ultrasound normal. What are the chances of urinary bladder cancer? 2 hours later
Ok now renal ultrasound negative the thing that scared me was finding a trace of blood a month after having the two clear uas. However this tuesady and again today there was no trace of blood so i guess this is a good sign? SO MY QUESTION IS what is the follow up treatment plan for this or should i go someplace likeMD XXXXXXX for a second opinion or this over kill?

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 6 hours later

Thanks for your response.

You have had gross hematuria and trace blood in your urine specimen which may occur due to various reasons. Since your urine specimen is now clear, a simple follow-up routine urine analysis at three weeks should suffice.

There has never been any suggestion of malignancy in any of your test reports and visiting a cancer center for this may seem to be "overkill".

However, if you feel you will be satisfied once they have reviewed your reports, you may choose to do so.

I would still like to think that you had an episode of infection which has now settled.

I hope I have answered your query.

Regards.
Dr Vineet Malhotra