Taking bupropion and dexedrine sulf. Does these medicine interfere with each other?

Question
I am taking bupropion 300 mg and dexedrine sulf 30 mg a day is that a XXXXXXX combination ?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

1) Bupropion is one of the most widely prescribed antidepressants, and its used mostly for the smoking cessation help. (It works by stimulating the nervous system)

2) Dexedrine sulf - is Dextroamphetamine - which is used to treat ADHD & Narcolapsy. (It works by depressing the nervous system )

They both work in opposition to each other. But may be needed in certain cases to make a balance in the brain chemicals. It depends upon what kind of chemical balancing the physician intending to achieve.

It's a normal combination used by psychiatrist in a person with BIPOLAR Disorder. As it has the both cycles of brain chemical imbalance attended and need both stimulant along with depressant in the regimen to keep a perfect balance.

Hope it will answer you concern. Please feel free to contact me in case of any further clarification.

Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Taking bupropion and dexedrine sulf. Does these medicine interfere with each other? 4 hours later
What about the higher chance of seisures at that combination and dosage ?

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 11 hours later

Welcome back, you are asking about a dosage at which the combination of drugs prescribed to you is having a higher chance for seizures.

The Dexedrine sulf is safe at 15 mg, anything higher may lead to seizures. whereas the Bupropion is safe till 300 mg/day.

The changes of having seizures will be higher if the dosage prescribed to you is higher than normal safety limit as seen above.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any further clarification.

Thanks again.
dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX