Taking bactrim for UTI. Does it affect Nexplanon birth control implant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
On bactrim for uti. Does it affect Nexplanon birth control implant
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It does not

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

There is no known drug interaction between bacterim and nexplanon birth control. I usually place my patients on bactrim even if they are on nexplanon and I have never had any effect related to interaction between the two. I personally think they are safe and the manufacturers of both medication do not indicate any interactions either.
How ever, if in any doubt, it is best to talk to your actual prescribing physician.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Taking bactrim for UTI. Does it affect Nexplanon birth control implant? 7 minutes later
hi even if its the generic brand I should be fine? I was put on sulfameth/trimethoprim due to my insurance

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
it has no problem

Detailed Answer:
I do not think with my experience that it has any issues.

Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Taking bactrim for UTI. Does it affect Nexplanon birth control implant? 20 minutes later
Great! thank you so much

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
your welcome

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to know that the information I provided could help you and please feel free to write back anytime.

Dr. Nsah