Taking antibiotics for perianal abcess. Have anal fissure and lichen sclerosis. How to manage swelling?

Feb 2013

Hi I have a query perianal abcess. I have been put on strong antibiotics since Saturday and spent 4 hours at A&E last night waiting for a surgical assessment. The surgeon conducted an anal and vaginal exam around the area and said that it seemed like fibrous tissue rather than an abcess, but that an abcess might form around it. She told me to continue taking antibiotics until Saturday and if it had not resolved to come back. I have also been suffering from an anal fissue and lichen sclerosis. She was very curt with me and did not explain what could be causing the fibroids, so I am going to see my GP tomorrow, but I am concerned what to do to manage the swelling now. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

With your description, you seems to have a swelling in perianal area.

This area is prone for the development of infections like perianal abscesses due to the presence of abundant follicles, pespiration, and presence of infective microorganisms like bacteria.

As the surgeon has examined you, I advise you to continue the antibiotic as advised by her and go for a follow up visit as scheduled.

I think she said fibrous tissue and not fibroids.

Fibroids are tumors growing in uterus and from the cervix.

The fibrous tissue is there because of the lichen sclerosis or an healed abscess.

If there is a XXXXXXX pus formation in the swelling, it has to be drained under aseptic conditions by giving incision.

If there is no pus formed, it has to be managed with antibiotics and consult the doctor again to assess the progression of swelling.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.