Taking antibiotic for chest infection. Feeling weak, irritated and started sweating. Suggestion?

I have a chest infection and been prescribed antib iotics and steroids three days ago, I feel very irritable and
weak, am sweating on exertion. should I be in bed?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 16 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
prescription of antibiotics and steroids is a quite curios combination in case of a lung infection. It could be justified if you have a chronic obstructive bronchopneumopathy like asthma. If not, the steroid could hinder the healing process.
Your symptoms my warrant a proper chest X XXXXXXX to know the cause of the exertion. Generally exertion in lung infections is usually due to a pleural effusion of fluid in the lungs which requires to be drained. Also cardiac disease is usually responsible, very commonly for exertion. As could lead to exertion, but is usually associated to wheezing.
The irritability and exertion to me make me suggest you see the pulmonologist, or if not, while waiting, a primary care physician or the emergency room. I suggest for now, you should be treated in a hospital environment for optimal care and followup.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD. Will be glad answering further questions if any.