Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in temperature and energy loss. Is it side effects of antibiotics?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
Im on amoxicillin for sinus infection. Day 5 I felt almost completely back to normal. I felt great! No fever and lots of energy. Every day after Ive felt bad with slight fluctuations in my temp and energy loss. Is it possible its now side effects of antibiotics? Im on day 10 of 14.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
?Viral flu

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

It appears that you have been having sinus infection for a while and been given amoxicillin. If you got well by day 5 then the medication worked for your infection and you were in the recovery period.

However, these antibiotics can make you feel weak after a while. Having side effects now is less likely a possibility in you. Amoxicillin is known to cause diarrhea, upset stomach and vomiting in some people early during treatment and this usually responds to symptomatic treatment.

It is important that you keep yourself warm right now. It is not clear if you have got a mild viral flu after the sinus infection. What happens is when a person is having infection like sinus infection, the body immunity comes down making it susceptible to flu attacks. The flu viruses have a latent period before they cause symptoms of illness, this period can vary from 3 days to a week in flu. Therefore, there is a possibility of a mild viral flu affecting you and causing fluctuation fever and fatigue.

Should there be any query, please do write back.

Get well soon.

Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in temperature and energy loss. Is it side effects of antibiotics? 16 hours later
Ok thank you. I wasnt sure. Since that day i was feeling really good ive had a lot of post nasal drip and some blocked nasal passages in the morning. Im not sure if i still have a sinus infection and the amoxicillin is still clearing it or i picked up a virus. I only have three days left of medicine so i hope its enough to heal me .

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
If symptoms persist consult your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your update.

I do hope amoxicillin is working and your sinusitis gets cured fast. My only concern would be to check up with your doctor if symptoms persist. This is to rule out chronic sinusitis in you, which is rarely seen nowadays.It may require a close followup.

Best wishes for an early recovery.

Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in temperature and energy loss. Is it side effects of antibiotics? 2 minutes later
Thank you. I called my doctor and im getting an xray on my sinuses tomorrow and tested for Lyme disease. Question: which thermometer do you believe is more accurate? The oral digital or the temperal lobe forehead digital thermometer? The oral says im 99.1. The forehead says im 99.9 .

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your update. It good to know that you have an appointment scheduled for sinus X XXXXXXX tomorrow and you are getting tested for Lyme disease.

Concerning accuracy of temperatures, I would like to share information on different ranges of normal temperature in various sites.

Different sites equal different temperatures:
Rectal temperature is typically higher than Core
Core is typically higher than oral
Oral is typically higher than axillary
Axillary

Oral temperature in the range 97.6 - 99.6 F is acceptable.
Rectal temperature in the range 98.6 - 100.6 F is acceptable.
Axillary temperature in the range 95.3 - 98.4 F is acceptable.
Ear temperature in the range 96.6 - 99.7 F is acceptable.
Core temperature in the range 98.2 - 100.2 F is acceptable.

You might observe that 99.1 F as oral temperature can be accepted as normal. Also normal body temperature in a healthy person is a range that fluctuates throughout the day. Body temperature can vary as much as 1.0° to 2.0°F (0.5°C to 1.0°C) and is lowest in the morning (2-4 AM) while resting and is warmest in the afternoon (4-6 PM) while active.

Best wishes for an early recovery.

Dr.Vivek