Taking X Met 500 for diabetes control. Blood sugar level is high. Need advice

My dosage for Diabetes control is X Met 500 /Pioz15/ Vobose.3 My readings range from Fasting 130 to PP 200

What is your advice please. Am otherwise active, walk regularly and feel fairly well.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood sugar needs to be controlled more effectivel

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Your blood sugar values need to be controlled more effectively.
Fasting blood sugar should not go more then 110 mg/dl and Postprandial should be maintained between 140-160 mg/dl.

High values of blood sugar with aggravated diabetic related complications like diabetic retinopathy, neuropathy and nephropathy and make it more progressive. By effectively controlling the blood sugar to the above said value these complication can be postponed.

With regards to your age your physical activity is quite good. Let me mention some ways which will help you to control your blood sugar.

Diet. 25 Cal/kg/day. Add more whole grain, fibers like vegetable and greens. Avoid sugars and fatty food.

Exercise. 45 mins of brisk walk for 4 to 5 days a week.

Regular medication and monitoring of blood sugar.

Periodic screening for diabetic related complications.

Consider insulin for treatment of diabetes if blood sugar is not controlled with Oral hypoglycemic drugs.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.

Follow-up: Taking X Met 500 for diabetes control. Blood sugar level is high. Need advice 5 hours later
Thanks Dr Basheer

Will follow your advice and do my best to bring the values into the given range.

Only is it true, overtime the body develops insulin resistance.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Insulin resistance occurs early in diabetes.

Detailed Answer:

Insulin resistance occurs in early stage of diabetes and it is the reason for abnormal blood sugar in many patients.

Regular exercise and weight loss will help overcome this problem.
Follow-up: Taking X Met 500 for diabetes control. Blood sugar level is high. Need advice 3 hours later
Guess my question was not worded correctly Meant taking Insulin such as Huminsulin the body develops resistance to it thereby making Insulin therapy ineffective Is this true ?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rare occurrences, it's insulin failure

Detailed Answer:

It's called insulin failure and it's a rare occurrences in the therapy of diabetes with insulin.

If the blood sugar of a person is not controlled even with 2 IU of insulin/Kg/day these patients are failing to respond to insulin therapy.

There may be many reasons like genetics, receptor mutation and high insulin resistance.

This should not stop you from insulin therapy for control of blood sugar.