Taking Timolol Maleate Opthalmic Solution USP. Recommended for 3 months. How long should the drug be taken?

I hope you answer a question about my eye dtop...Timolol Maleate Opthalmic Solution long is this medicine good for once it is opened for use...I have looked everywhere even package insert doesn"t say...the UK site saids it is good for 4 weeks only...My pharmacist is giving me a 10 ml bottle instead of 5 ml and saids it should last for 3 may last for 3 months but what is the patency once opened is my concern...she couldn't tell me where she got her info...where can I get help ?
Thank you XXXXX
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

If you follow the below instructions you can use the solution for about 4 -6 weeks. But, before you use always shake the solution and check if there are any particles in it.

Avoid allowing the tip of the dispensing container to contact the eye or surrounding structures. If ocular solutions are handled improperly or if the tip of the dispensing container comes in contact with the eye or surrounding structures, it can become contaminated by common bacteria known to cause ocular infections. Serious damage to the eye and subsequent loss of vision may result from using contaminated solutions. IF YOU THINK YOUR MEDICATION MAY BE CONTAMINATED, OR IF YOU DEVELOP AN EYE INFECTION, CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY CONCERNING CONTINUED USE OF THIS BOTTLE.

If drop dispensing is difficult after opening for the first time, replace the cap on the bottle and tighten (DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN) and then remove by turning the cap in the opposite direction as indicated by the arrows on the top of the cap.

This medication is for use in the eye(s), usually one drop in the affected eye(s) as directed by your doctor. To apply eye drops, wash your hands first. Tilt your head back, look upward and pull down the lower eyelid to make a pouch. Hold the dropper directly over your eye and place one drop in your eye. Look downward and gently close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Place one finger at the corner of your eye (near the nose) and apply gentle pressure. Try not to blink and do not rub your eye. This will prevent the medication from draining out. Repeat these steps for your other eye if so directed.
Do not rinse the dropper. Replace the dropper cap after each use.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile