Taking Terazosin for a while. Gained weight and having nerve pain. What can be done?

I havebeen taking Terazosin for a while and had weight gain bloating of legs and now have severe nerve pain. I stopped last Friday. How long do the nerve pains last?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later

Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Terazosin is given in the treatment of hypertension (high BP), and prostate enlargement ( bladder difficulties). You have not mentioned the condition for which you are taking it. If you are taking it for the control of 'high BP', it should not be stopped suddenly without your treating Doctor's advice. Unless a suitable substitution is made, there will be a XXXXXXX increase in BP .

Since you have mentioned bladder difficulties in your medical history, I assume that you are taking Terazosin for it.

Swelling in hands and feet and asthenia (nerve pain) are definitely due to the side effects of Terazosin. The pain you are experiencing could also be due to the bloating of legs due to edema. Since you are a Diabetic, you will have to rule out if the nerve pain is due to Diabetic neuropathy.

The half life of a drug is the time taken by the drug to reach 50% of its original concentration in plasma. The elimination half life of Terazosin is 12 hours and the duration of its action is 18 hours. So,the drug effect should disappear after a maximum period of two days.

It might take a minimum of two weeks for your nerve pain to reduce if it is due to asthenia. Otherwise, if it is due to edema it will disappear once after the swelling subsides.

I hope this is useful.