Taking Tareg for BP. Now prescribed Pur-bloka. Effect on BP?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I am taking Tareg 80 for Blood pressureand now the Dr has prescribe Pur-bloka for essential tremors - is it possible that this can have a effect on my blood pressure.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Tareg 80 which contains valsartan, and Pur-bloka, which contains propranolol, are both used in the treatment of high blood pressure. You do not mention the dosage of either drug that you are taking. But you are correct in that Pur-bloka could possibly have an effect on your blood pressure.

The common starting dose of Pur-bloka that is used in the treatment of high blood pressure is 40mg twice daily. However, it is not definite that this will affect your blood pressure.

I would recommend that you monitor your blood pressure. If you feel faint or excessively tired and unable to maintain your normal level of activity, this may possibly be due to the combined effects of these two drugs. I would recommend that you should then consult the doctor who prescribed these drugs for advice.

I hope this has been of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger MBChB