Taking Rexipra and Elewel for headache and lack of concentration. How to taper off?

I have been taking Rexipra 10 morning and Elewel 25 night from last 8 months.

I really want to stop .

My Psychiatrist prescribed : for my headache & less concentration/missing the gaps/judging the take over, in my driving .I am Sales mgr and have to drive 2/4 wheeler 3-4 hrs daily.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

You have been prescribed Rexipra (escalitopram) 10 and Eliwel(amitriptyline) 25 for last 8 months.

You have not mentioned clear details about the diagnosis made by your psychiatrist.
Rexipra is prescribed for a number of mental health conditions like anxiety, depression, OCDs, stress. Rexipra acts on the brain by increasing the level of a neurochemical serotonin.

Rexipra should not be stopped without discussing with your doctor.
Some of the side effects associated with sudden stoppage of Rexipra are,
1. Dizziness, headache or insomnia.
2. Unusual mood changes.
3. Tingling or numbness in arms and legs

Before stopping Rexipra treatment, it is important to talk with your doctor to discuss the withdrawal side effects that can occur.

Hope your query is answered.
Further doubts welcome.

Dr. A. Rao Kavoor