Taking Ramipril. Pain in the leg joints. Tried Naproxen to reduce inflammation. Due to the medication side effects?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I take Ramipril 10 MG twice daily. I have developed pain in my leg joints, especially severe when I wake up. The pain is also present after I have sat for awhile and attempt to stand. I have take 880 mg of naproxen to decrease inflammation in the past but that doesn't seem to work any longer.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later

Bone pain and joint pains are a common side effect of ramipril. The non improvement of pain on taking naproxen is further suggestive of a side effect due to ramipril intake.

You need to consult your physician for considering other more suitable anti hypertensive drugs to control your high blood pressure.

Usually this bone and joint pain improves within 2 weeks of stopping the drug.

Taking pain killers can only provide partial relief for some time but switching the drug with other anti hypertensives will be helpful.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.