Taking Olmzest and Nebicard for BP. Overweight and Fasting Blood Sugar is high. Will it impact on BP?

I'm 45 years old and currently taking BP medication of Olmzest 10 mg (1-0-0), Nebicard 5 mg (0-0-1) and Atorlip 10 mg (0-0-1). I'm slightly overweight by 7-8 kgs, but I walk everyday for 30-35 minutes and on strict diet. I do not drink alcohol or smoke; but even with the medications my BP varies from 130/80 - 140/90. Sometimes I have had readings of 160/90 and have tried different combinations of medicines but not been able to keep it at 120/80. My FBS is high (120-125) but my HbA1C is around 6.3 when I checked a couple of months ago.

My query is that should I take any medicines for reducing my FBS? Will it have an impact on reducing the blood pressure with the medicines I'm taking? Thanks for your time.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Sir
1. If you are obese by only 7-8 kg and your HbA1C is 6.3, the best possible way for a better control of blood sugar level is exercise and reduction of weight. For best cardiovascular outcomes a brisk walk of ~45 minutes, 7 days a week is recommended, however you must take an exercise prescription from your physician after discussing. Your Body mass index should be ~23. Please let me know your height and weight so that I can calculate it. If reduction of weight and exercise fails to reduce your blood sugar level, drug therapy may be tried.
2. Blood pressure fluctuates as per our level of physical/ mental stress. Hence it varies continuously. It should be checked in a relaxed state, when you have not smoked or taken tea/ coffee for at least one hour, you are not under stress and you are sitting at least for 5 minutes. It should be checked nearly at same time of day. Goal BP is 140/90 mmHg or lower if there is no renal disease or diabetes. This is not exactly 120/80 mmHg.
3. I would like you to discuss with your physician about nebicard. Beta blockers (nebicard is one of them) increases future risk of diabetes more as compared to other BP lowering drugs.
Feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Taking Olmzest and Nebicard for BP. Overweight and Fasting Blood Sugar is high. Will it impact on BP? 3 minutes later
Dear Dr,

Thanks for your response.

My height is 175 cm and weight is 86 kg.

Regarding your note about beta blockers increasing future risk of diabetes, I will check with the doctor.

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 13 minutes later
Dear Sir
Your BMI is ~28. Your weight should ideally be ~70.5 Kg (BMI of 23).
You should combined exercise (under supervision) with a weight reducing diet (A dietitian will be able to make a detailed diet plan for you).
Hope this helps.