Taking Losartan. Does this medication has the same effect as Diovan?

Excellent

Question
I am taking Losartan. Is this medication has the same effect as Diovan??
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
they are in the same family of drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Both of these drugs, losartan and diovan, are in the same family of medications. This is a set of drugs called ARBs (angiotensin receptor blocker).They are both used in hypertension, heart failure and as kidney protective drugs in diabetics.

They both work in essentially the same way but because they are different drugs with a different structure, there would be areas in the way of action that would differ.

Losartan is one of the first drugs of this family.It has been shown not to provide complete 24 hour blood pressure protection.
Some medical studies comparing the two drugs have found that diovan is more effective

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Taking Losartan. Does this medication has the same effect as Diovan? 45 minutes later
Considering both drugs belong to the same family, I still like to know the (side
effects ) differece between Losartan that I am presently taken and Diovan that
I took for many years untill my insurance did not covered it and ended up taken
Losartan. I had developed symptoms that never experienced while on Diovan.
The only drug change I had has been Losartan; therefore I am attributing the
disconfort due to the change. Could it be possible a drug to drug interaction???

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
because of the different structure of drugs

Detailed Answer:
HI

In terms of side effects, losartan is usually well tolerated but everyone reacts differently to medication.
Possible side effects are:headache, loss of energy, dizziness,nausea, loose bowel movements, indigestion, abdominal pain, back or leg pain.

If you are experiencing symptoms since your medication was changed, then it is definitely possible that it relates to the losartan.

If you are on other medications, it is possible that there is some interaction between agents.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Taking Losartan. Does this medication has the same effect as Diovan? 2 minutes later
effects ) difference between Losartan that I am presentlytaken and Diovan that
I took for many years untill my insurance did not covered it and ended up taking
Losartan. I had develop symptoms that never experienced while on Diovan
The only drug change I had has been to Losartan, therefore I am attributin the

Brief Answer:
the side effects would differ slightly

Detailed Answer:
HI

Losartan is tolerated well in most persons, with 2.3% of persons using experiencing symptoms.
It is possible that you are in this percent that experience side effects.The side effects are listed above.

Diovan has a similar risk of side effects, with approximately the same percent of persons with problems when taking the drug. Some of the side effects seen are: headache, dizziness, rash, diarrhea, constipation, dry mouth, muscle pain.

In terms of a drug interaction, some drugs can interact but no other drugs were listed to allow a check to see if there is any interaction when taken with losartan.

Please feel free to ask any thing else

Follow-up: Taking Losartan. Does this medication has the same effect as Diovan? 12 minutes later
Sorry!! I am taking: Losartan, Furosemide,allopurinol, warfarin, metolazone,
lunesta, metoprolol and aspirin. Any possibility of drug to drug interaction
with Losartan???
Dizziness, constipation, headache and muscle pain are prevalent.Any answer???

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
losartan and aspirin interact

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In terms of drug interactions of the medications that you are using, the losartan only interacts with aspirin.
The two combined can potentially affect the ability of losartan to lower blood pressure though the exact mechanism for this action is unclear.

In terms of the other drugs, there is a potential interaction between warfarin and aspirin where there is an increased risk of bleeding.

Furosemide and metolazone together can cause a decrease in certain electrolytes that can cause dizziness, dry mouth , thirst, fatigue, muscle cramps.

Metoprolol and metolazone together can also cause dizziness along with weakness.

Constipation is not noted in any of the drug interaction profiles.

It is possible some the above interactions are causing your symptoms.

Please free to ask any thing else