Taking Keppra for seizures and legs are swollen. Hardly urinate. What to do?

Question
am taking Keppra, 750 mg's daily. My legs are very swollen and I can hardly urinate. I am supposedly taking Keppra for seizures. What should I do?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get urine analysis&lab works to find the cause...

Detailed Answer:

First, I am sorry my dear about the situation you are in. Please bare in mind that there is a solution to all your problems and I will try you to guide in finding them:

- You are saying that are taking Keppra for seizures; I suggest to follow your neurologist advice correctly at this time.

- You are saying that your legs are swollen and can hardly urinate. At the same time, you are diabetic and have high blood pressure.

Now, diabetes is usually associated with albumin (normally not found in urine) is being excreted. Sometimes, the kidneys are damaged severely and the body reacts with swollen legs (as fluids are being re-tented in kidneys due to its damages).

What I am trying to say is that your swollen legs and hard urination might be related to kidney infection or UTI. For this, you should do an urine analysis, urine culture to determine the right antibiotic to use if any.

At the same time, I would suggest to do some blood works like examining the function of kidneys (creatinemia, azotemia), creatinine clearance, electrolyte levels in blood, liver enzymes.

So, talk to your doctor for the analysis and to get medications as soon as possible.

Hope it helped answering to your inquiry!