Taking Gabapentin for anxiety. Also taking Zoloft and Mirtazipine. Should I change drugs to Pregablin?

I am currently taking Gabapentin, for anxiety. Its only been 3 weeks I do appear to be getting benefit from IT. However, I have heard a lot about Pregablin. It is marketed a newer superior product.. Why would my doctor put me on the older drug? Is Pregablin a better drug? I have history of depression and OCD. I am also taking ZOLOFT AND MIRTAZIPINE. Should I change drugs to Pregablin? Also what is the side effect safety profile of Gabapentin and PREGABLIN and what drug combine better with my existing antidepressants?
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both are essentially same

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for posting your query. I have read through your query and I do understand your concern.

Please be assured that both these medicines have similar mechanism of action and both are shown to be effective in treating anxiety among many other conditions. Pregabalin is the newer molecule and is shown to be more potent than Gabapentin, so if you are benefiting from gabapentin I do not see any reason for switching to pregabalin.

Both the medicines (Pregabalin and gabapentin) have similar safety and side-effect profile. The most common(about in 10%) side effects are dizziness and drowsiness, rarely blurred vision, diplopia, increased appetite. (There are quite few others which are very rare (Incidence less than 0.1% of treated patients) like lethargy, agitation, hypotension).

I hope this information helps you, please do write back if you have any more questions.

Warm regards,
Dr. Yogesh. D