Taking Ednone for chronic back pain, taken nerve root injections. Do I need surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi i am in extreme pain am on ednone 5mg for chronic back l4 and l5 have had several nerve root injections could i take 10 mg endone to get some relief
please i need help have tried everything dont know what else to do i need surgery but with funding cuts and etc it falls in to catatory 2 which could be 4 or more years as it is i dont have any live to speak of desperate :)
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
If you are having severe chronic back ache not even relieved by steroid injections, then you can increase the dose of your pain killer endone to 10mg. In addition to this, you can get an appropriate muscle relaxant prescribed from your orthopedician.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size will also help to give a good support to your back muscles till you wait for your surgery.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Taking Ednone for chronic back pain, taken nerve root injections. Do I need surgery? 3 days later
i have a 28 year old son with severe depression anxiety and major ocd to the point he only uses a cake of soap once to shower he has so many problems with everything to much to mention is there any medication you could suggest been on things before but not with much success i feel he needs to go on mood stabilizer like epilim and something else just dont know which one would be best for him. It would be nightmare living his life always down and feeling worthless he is my son and i am so sad for him XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing again.
OCD is a type of anxiety that happens when there is a problem with the way the brain deals with normal worrying and doubts. People with OCD usually worry a lot.
Cognitive and behavioural therapies show good response in such cases which you can have in consultation with his psychiatrist.
It is best to start any medication only after proper evaluation by his psychiatrist.
Meanwhile stay connected to him and his friends and ask him to practice relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, XXXXXXX breathing, etc.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Taking Ednone for chronic back pain, taken nerve root injections. Do I need surgery? 42 hours later
since my last visit to docctor for more repeat precreptions and back pain is still major pain my doctor has put me on 10mg oxycontin tablets controlled release. can i take 3 a day when pain is really pain or just 1 morning and 1 night XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
You can take oxycontin thrice daily in case of severe pain. Otherwise on routine basis, try to restrict the dosage to a twice daily schedule.