Taking Diovan, Synthroid, Crestor for hypertension, hypothyroidism and elevated cholesterol. Does Crestor help women?

I am a 75 year-old woman whose medications include diovan HCT for hypertension and synthriod for hypothyroidism. I have also been taking crestor for the past ten years as my cholesterol was elevated. I have no history of heart disease, am normal weight and eat mainly a healthy diet. There is a history of heart disease in my family as my father died of a heart attack at age 73 and one brother had a heart attack at age 43 with some risidual damage. I have been reading that the value of statins for women is being questioned so am wondering if I should continue taking crestor. I am on the minimum dosage of 5 mg daily.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 24 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

The place of statins in lowering your heart health risks is very well documented and considering your family risk history - statin is indeed doubtless and beneficial.

With regards to breast cancer risk in women with >10 yr usage in women - the current medical studies put together are inconclusive. Studies have shown no link, reduced risk and increased risk. So, definite evidence to prove only increased risk is only partly right.

And moreover you are taking the lowest possible dosage - which certainly rules out all the dose related side effects associated. You would need to corroborate the same with your prescribing doctor for any further advice as statins currently are recommended lifelong and benefits outweigh the risks. Early detection of any problem including breast cancer even if it occurred would be addressable and cured with regular checks.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.