Taking Azoran for ulcerative colitis. Have chronic pancreatitis. Is Azoran worsening my pancreatic condition?

Acute Pancreatitis in 2007 august.
Ulcerative colitis and Diabetes since 2008 XXXXXXX
On Azoran 50 mg now for UC. Recent pancreatic elastase stool test revealed chronic pancreatitis. Would like to know if Azoran is worsening my pancreatitis condition.
What are the other side effects of Azoran?
I also seem to be gradually losing weight. What kind of food and food supplement will help me gain weight.
Should I repeat pancreatic elastase stool test and how often?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
As an immunosuppressive antimetabolite Azathioprine (Azoran ) has many side effects, and may interfering with evolution of chronicle pancreatitis and in some cases worsening this condition, because peoples with normal pancreatic function while taking Azathioprine ( for another conditions ) may develop acute pancreatitis and vomiting, nausea, diarrhea with abdominal pain , that has been reported with hypersensitivity pancreatitis. The safety and efficacy of Azathioprine for the treatment of ulcerative colitis have not been established. Mainly side effects of Azathioprine are Hematologic ( leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, and anemia); Gastrointestinal (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia and chronic malabsorption syndrome; Risk of infections and malignancy( lymphoma ); Hepatotoxicity (elevations in alkaline phosphatase, bilirubin, and/or serum transaminases, cholestatic jaundice, hepatitis ); Hypersensitivity ( rash, fever, malaise, vasculitis, hypotension ). I would recommend you periodically repeat complete blood count, liver function test to detect /prevent adverse effect of this drug.
You lost weight due to malabsorbtion syndrome as a effect of chronicle pancreatitis and side effect of azoran. In case of chronicle pancreatitis are prescribed low – fat diets with general considerations: Do not eat large meals at a time, rather go for small frequent meals ,avoid : concentrated sweets and desserts, caffeine and gas-forming food items, margarine, butter, bacons, alcohol, smoking, spicy food, you may include: soybeans ,light chicken soups or vegetable soups frequently, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fruit juice.
Elastase stool test you may repeat every three weeks.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,