Taken iui treatment. On duphaston 10mg. Missing periods and getting lower cramps. Am I pregnant?

I have ovulated on oct 1and i got my last periods on sept 15.i have taken iui treatment on oct said me to take duphaston 10mg tablet twice a day for 20days.if i dont get periods til oct 21,doc asked me to visit his clinic,my cycle is of 32 days and my period due date was on oct 16.stil i have not got periods.i want to know whether am pregnant and am also getting cramps in lower.i want to know whether duphaston tablet wil delay my periods?pls reply me.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

It is best to wait for two weeks (15 days) after the insemination procedure prior to testing for a pregnancy. One can also wait for 3-4 days over the expected date of the next menses before doing so. A pregnancy test can be done at home with urinary pregnancy testing kits, which are freely available If a pregnancy is confirmed you will have to get an ultrasound done to confirm the site of pregnancy, viability and gestational age. You will have to continue the prescribed medication duphaston if you conceive.
In case you get your periods you can stop all medication and see the doctor on the second or third day of your periods.

After IUI, luteal support (later half of menstrual cycle ie last 14days) is given with oral progesterone. Duphaston is a progesterone used for the same. It does not delay periods and neither will it cause any harm to your baby if you get pregnant.
If your pregnancy is confirmed , you will have to continue duphaston tablet for another 2 months. It helps in supporting the pregnancy and keeps uterus relaxed thereby improving your IUI and pregnancy outcome.

Uterine cramps can be a side effect of IUI procedure. You should avoid engaging in heavy work. Take adequate rest and no stress.

Wishing you all the best.