Taken Zithromax for a painful puss filled cyst. Is it safe to use cupping technique to clean the cyst?

Question
Is it safe to use a Cupping technique to draw out rhe contents of an infected cyst?
Just completed day 5 of Zithromax treatment cyst is still very large, and very painful. Maybe coming to a head.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Cupping can be applied if the cyst is small, but it should be done under aseptic conditions like using a sterile needle. Also you should clean the surrounding area and wipe the pus with sterile cotton.

After this you can apply Betadine solution or ointment to the area. This is only after antibiotic treatment and if head is formed.

If the cyst is too large, as you mentioned in your case, it is better to get this done in a Hospital. The reason is sometimes it is possible to remove the cyst but the inner capsule will be there. This will temporarily remove the pus, but it will be reformed.

Also breaking the capsule can cause inflammation. If aseptic precautions are not taken, then chances of re infection increases.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taken Zithromax for a painful puss filled cyst. Is it safe to use cupping technique to clean the cyst? 3 hours later
I am scheduled to have the cyst removed, but the pain is unbearable while waiting. I was wondering about using this to relief some pressure, in an effort to secure some relief from pain. It's 2 more days until I can see the surgeon. If if use the aseptic technique but with tea tree oil, instead of betadine will I be ok?

Answered by Dr. Radhika 11 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

If the cyst is large it is better to wait till you get it removed from a doctor. Tea tree oil should never be used as a disinfectant, only Betadine or dettol solution can be used.

If pain is severe you can apply hot compression and Tablet Tylenol 200 mg twice daily for 2 days.

Regards.