Taken Mifeprin kit to abort. What are the side effects?

Mar 2013
I am now 39, find myself today pregnant and taken Mifeprin kit to abort. Please let me know how to use this kit/doses etc. and please confirm side affects. whether I should go to a Gynocologist ?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later

As you have taken the Mifeprin kit to abort, you can easily read the instructions in the kit.
However, it is not so simple, as a do it yourself abortion.
It is sad in our country that such kits and medicines are freely available from chemists without a proper prescription, but it is illegal and unethical.
In addition, for the patient, it is highly XXXXXXX , life threatening and risky.
I advise you not to take a single tablet without first consulting a Gynecologist.
I will try to explain why this is so.

Firstly, the pregnancy has to be confirmed by a gynecologist, not just by a home urine pregnancy kit, as home tests are not always reliable.
Then the exact weeks and days of the pregnancy have to be confirmed, because beyond 49 days of pregnancy, there is a high likelihood that the medical abortion pills will not work.
Thirdly, it has to be confirmed that the pregnancy is intra uterine, that is not outside the uterus. If it is an ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ), the results of taking such tablets randomly can be life threatening.
Fourth, the exact dosage and schedule has to be explained to you by a gynecologist, because even if you make a single mistake in taking the pills, the abortion would not be successful.
Fifth, after taking the pills, you need to have a follow up visit with your gynecologist, so that she can confirm that the abortion is complete, and the uterus is empty. Otherwise you have chances of incomplete abortion and the dead tissue being retained inside the uterus, leading to severe infection and other complications.
Sixth, anytime after taking the pills, you would have heavy bleeding and cramps with passage of tissues. In some patients the bleeding can be severe and you would require emergency hospital care, which is possible if you have already consulted a reputed gynecologist.

I hope I have given you enough reasons to understand the importance of consulting a Doctor before taking those pills.

Take care, and feel free to ask any further questions.