Tail bone pain due to fall, pain while touching, overweight, dislocation, fracture, coccyx injury

Ever since I was about 8 years old and fell to a seated position on a roller skating rink, I've had mild tailbone pain. Over the years I've only been able to feel the pain when initially sitting down or standin up or when the area is massaged.
Just recently, at age 28 I've noticed the tailbone pain is more noticeable and is more chronic. Thbe pain itself is about a 3/10, if that.
I am overweight, not sure if this has anything to do with it.
I was wondering what this may be, why it might be getting worse, and what to do about it.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 6 hours later

History of injury in a seated position on a roller skating rink associated with mild tailbone pain and the pain getting aggravated on sitting down or standing up suggest injury to tail bone( Coccyx ), it may be dislocation or fracture.

In order to find out the exact cause a X-ray of Coccyx in standing and sitting position will better determine the fracture or dislocation. Meanwhile a clinical examination including Entire Vertebral column, neurological examination, and per rectal examination is needed.

Coccyx injuries are often painful, so home care is aimed at controlling pain and avoiding further irritation to the coccyx.
1.Avoid sitting down for long periods of time.When seated, always lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.
2.You can purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.
3.You can take Tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg available as Advil, twice a day after food whenever the pain is more.

Yes. overweight can also aggravate the pain since the more pressure put on to the coccyx,the tail bone.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.