Tachycardia. Inner ear infection. Related?

ENT Specialist
I experienced tachycardia for the first time in my life today and I was also just diagnosed with an inner ear infection. Can the tachycardia be due to the middle ear infection?

Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. There is no direct relation between your middle ear and tachycardia. Vertigo is more often associated with tachycardia.

2. Your tachycardia may be due to infection, acid reflux or medication such as Gabapentin (prolonged use or withdrawal).

3. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) secondary to your alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency may also be responsible. Get this investigated with Chest X-rays and Lung Function Tests.

4. Get your Complete Blood Count (to rule out infection, anemia), Liver Function and Thyroid Function Tests done.

5. If your tachycardia persists, get an ECG to determine the type of tachycardia. This will help narrow down the extensive list of conditions that may cause tachycardia.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.