TSH levels elevated. What can be the treatment?

t3 is 120 ng/dl t4 is 7.63 microgm/dl tsh is 6.89 mtu/ml what is the treat ment
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

First of all, I am assuming that your TSH values are 6.9 ┬ÁIU/ml instead of 6.9 mtu/ml. Let me know if I am wrong.
Although your T3 and T4 levels are normal, TSH values are slightly elevated. This indicates that you have hypothyroidism that is underactive thyroid.

It is also one of the cause of irregular periods, although polycystic ovarian disease can itself lead to irregular periods.

I would like to know if you have any of the following symptoms as well: Fatigue,depression,weight gain cold intolerance,excessive sleepiness,dry coarse hair,dry skin,muscle cramps.

For treatment, the ideal goal is to maintain TSH levels in normal range with help of medicines like thyroxine. This will help prevent development of lipid abnormalities and improve symptoms like irregular periods. Consult your doctor for a proper evaluation so that treatment can be started.

Hope this helps.