TMT report showed positive. What does this mean?

My TMT Report shows Positive , Excercise Timing was 8.02 Min. and HR was 189 with BP 200/100
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 12 minutes later
Thanks for your query to us.

Please provide me with the following information.

1. What were your symptoms on TMT? I mean what happened to you at peak exercise in TMT. Was there any chest pain/ heaviness? How much breathless you were?
2. What was the protocol used for TMT (I hope it was Bruce)?
3. What are your symptoms otherwise? Why was the test done? What medical illnesses you have beside hypertension?
4. If you can upload your ECGs of TMT (Baseline and peak exercise)?

I would be glad to answer in detail, once you provide me more information.

Sukhvinder Singh
Follow-up: TMT report showed positive. What does this mean? 6 hours later
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 10 minutes later
Dear Sir
Thanks for uploading your TMT.
I have seen your TMT and it is positive but still a rider. Implications of a positive test are different in different circumstances. Since you had a fair exercise capacity, 1. I would like to know what were your symptoms while doing TMT. If you had no trouble in whole test, then next logical step would be a image based stress test like Stress ECHO or Stress Thallium. But in case you had some trouble like chest pain/undue shortness of breath/ severe fatigue, then perhaps you will have to undergo a coronary angiogram (please do consult your cardiologist also).
2. I would also like to know that why this test was done and what were your problems prior to test?
Please do write to us, so that I can discuss further.
sukhvinder XXXXXXX
Follow-up: TMT report showed positive. What does this mean? 13 hours later
Thanks for reply
I answer your query as per following...
01. No sysmptoms - No chest pain no trouble thereafter, and I was feelling normal. No shortness/ sever fatigue was observed. (Before TMT Test , I have done cycling 8 Kms , 1.5/2.00 Hours before, I assume that may be the reason , I could not go beyond 8.02 mins.)
01. One thing I would like to inform you that , I used to do walking for 5-7 Kms/day everyday but since last 6/8 months I could not do it some or other reason.
02. Reason for Test : I am working with M/s. Reliance Industries Limited , Hazira , Gujarat as from this year onward person more than 40 year have to undergo TMT Test as a part of Annual Health Check up...
03. Other than HT , I have no other illness.

Thanks and Regards, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 5 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thanks for the details.

Your TMT is positive for provocable myocardial ischemia but since you have Fair exercise capacity without any symptoms and you were asymptomatic, prior to test also, next logical step is an imaging based stress test (stress ECHO or Stress Nuclear MPI scan). A hypertensive patient with such a profile may have a false positive TMT.

If your stress ECHO/ Stress nuclear MPI scan comes to be normal, then it would be concluded that your TMT was false positive.

Please discuss with your cardiologist in light of this information and proceed.

Feel free to discuss further.

Sukhvinder XXXXXXX