Symptoms,treatment and diet for Hepatic steatosis

My gallbladder ultrasound show Hepatomegaly with steatosis, what are the symptoms, treatment and diet. Thank you
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Fatique, Malaise. Alcohol Abstinence. Vegetables Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You have reported to suffer from metabolic syndrome (Obesity, Hypertension as well as hyperlipidemia) and ultrasound scan revealed hepatomegaly with steatosis. There is no specific symptom for Hepatic Steatosis in initial stage. But some people may have malaise and fatique. Symptoms are predominantly seen in advanced stages where they may have ascitis and jaundice. I order for the following tests in such cases to identify the cause. 1. Liver function test 2. Fasting lipids (usually raised) 3. Fasting glucose 4. Full blood count 5. Ceruloplasmin 6. Anti Nuclear antibodies studies. Treatment depends on the cause. If you consume alcohol it is best to quit alcohol now. Diet containing plenty of vegetables and fruits is a must. Avoid deep fried and fat rich foods. You also need to start exercise to shed extra weight. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries.
Follow-up: Symptoms,treatment and diet for Hepatic steatosis 2 days later
I do not drink. I have routine lab test because I take liptor and the lipids have been normal. I had a full blood test done in August 2013 prior to a D & C. I have had hypothyroidism following thyroiditis since the 1980's. The only other thing that I have done lately is I stated taking Original Garcina Cambogia for Weight Management. Can the enlarged live be reversed with weight loss and proper diet? Thank You
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Balanced diet, physical activity Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes. Fatty liver can be reversed by simple weight loss and diet control management. You must lose weight safely. This usually means losing no more than half to one kilogram (one to two pounds) a week Eat a balanced, healthy diet Increase your physical activity Get regular check-ups from a physician who specializes in liver care. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.