Swollen upper left cheek. It is itchy, warm and sensitive to the touch

I have a swollen upper left cheek that is itchy and warm sensitive to the touch. The sensitivity runs down to my neck gland. Literally happened overnight.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this swollen left cheek. I hope together we would walk through the problem and propose lasting solutions.

From the information you have provided, this is very suspicious of an allergic reaction. My greatest suspicion is that you were bitten by a bug while sleeping. This has probably resulted in the itch, swelling and pain secondary to an inflammatory reaction in response to this aggression.

I am confident this will not represent a major challenge to address. Some pain medications like ibuprofen, an anti allergic like Benadryl alongside cold packs for pain relief would be able to control this condition. However, if there should be an increase in the degree of pain or swelling, fever and redness of the area, then please treat it as a matter of urgency because it may signal cellulitis which is a common complication that requires antibiotics.

I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. Please, feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Thank you so much for using our services.
I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Swollen upper left cheek. It is itchy, warm and sensitive to the touch 21 minutes later
Thank you. I do suspect a bug bite but can't see an entry point. I do have a dog that sleeps on the bed. It could be due to the dog.
The selling is subsiding. I have been taking Benadryl. I also read about cellulitis and will keep watch. Thank you sir.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you, too!

Detailed Answer:
I am happy to ear that the swelling is giving way.

Try to identify what could have caused this so that you can prevent it in future. Even at times, simple contact with an irritant can provoke an allergic reaction similar to what you have.

Good you read on cellulitis. Keep watch as you have mentioned.

Thank you for using our services. If you have no further related question, please may I suggest you consider closing the discussion at this point? Also, help us with a review so that we can act on t better serve you next time.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
Dr. Ditah, MD.