Swollen tonsil,trouble swallowing,enlarged lymph nodes,reflux problem,bacteria

I have been having a throat problem for a few months now. My tonsils are swollen, I have trouble swallowing, and my lymph nodes are enlarged. I recently went to an ENT and he said it was a reflux problem, but Ive been taking the meds and the diet for 2 weeks now and have not seen progression. I am sexually active. The ENT checked for lesions and said there were none. Ive been tested for mono, strep throat, and every test possible. I came out with a bacteria but got antibiotics for it and finished them a week ago. Any thoughts? Could it be oral cancer?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Your symptoms suggests something like an Acute Tonsillitis.

You have already taken a course of antibiotic which should take care of the infection.

It commonly occurs that most people get recurrent throat infections especially adolescents.

You can continue to be active sexually. Please do follow safe sexual practices.

It is good that you have undergone the relevant tests, I really appreciate it.

It is very very rare in your case to be an oral cancer. I suggest you to be reassured and not to worry about having oral cancer considering your age of 18 years.

If you are having recurrent throat infection, consider getting a Tonsillectomy done.

Tonsillectomy also helps in improving your general health.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up query if any.

Follow-up: Swollen tonsil,trouble swallowing,enlarged lymph nodes,reflux problem,bacteria 9 hours later
Thank you so much! Any ideas on how to ease the pain? I also think its a little psychological since I am so worked up about the whole situation. You're answer did calm me down however. Thanks! My ENT talked to my about a tonsillectomy, but since I'm leaving for Australia for 6 months it will have to wait. What should I take till then? Also, I take vitamin C every day to help boost my immune system and avoid anything thats carbonated.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back.

You can take simple analgesics like paracetamol to get relief from the pain.

You can wait for 6 months to get the tonsillectomy done, it should not bother you much till then.

May be, it can even resolve by 6 months, you can get tested by your ENT specialist again after 6 months and discuss about the treatment options.

You can continue taking Vitamin C everyday.

I also suggest you to do oral gargling with Betadine mouth gargle twice a day in the morning and in the night.Also if you smoke and eat cold refrigrated food avoid that too.

Drink boiled or packaged/filter water.

You do not need any antibiotics for this.

Be reassured that you will be fine.

Hope my suggestions will help you.