Swollen tonsil, ear pain, flesh colored bumps on soft palate, no fever. Worried about cancer

Critical Care Specialist
My left tonsil has been swollen for two weeks, with ear pain in the left ear. Now I noticed three tiny flesh colored bumps on soft palate. I do not have a fever or swollen lymph nodes. I am freaking out because I smoke and I'm worried about cancer. I have been smoking for 9 years. I also have yearly allergies and wake up with a severely stuffed up nose.
Forgot to say I saw a doctor and she did a strep test and it was negative. I was prescribed amoxicillin though she wouldnt give me a answer why. I have post nasal drip also.
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 6 hours later

Having cancer with these symptoms is very unlikely. This sounds like tonsilitis and infection needs to be controlled.

Usually amoxicillin should cover the organism, it should be taken for at least 10 days meanwhile warm liquids, caffeine free should be used along with ibuprofen or Tylenol for pain relief and lozenges for irritant pain until the infection is controlled.

If it is frequently recurrent, tonsillectomy surgery should be performed.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.