Swollen & throbbing elbow after injury, red patches on forearm, twinges of numbness. Applied ice & taking celebrex

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I hit my elbow hard and it is swollen and throbbing. It radiates pain from my shoulder down to my little finger.
Now there are red raised splotches all over my forearm. I feel twinges of numbness. I have iced and I am on celebrex and neither is helping. It aches terribly.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Your symptoms are sugesstive of an XXXXXXX soft tissue or bony injury either damaging the blood vessels or nerve.The swelling and pain occur in any local injury but tingling and red patches and radiating pain warrant further evaluation to rule out fracture of radius-ulna i.e forearm bones or damage to radial nerve or vessels.

You need to consult an orthopaedic surgeon or an emergency room to get thoroughly evaluated and investigated including X-rays to confirm the diagnosis and start apropriate treatment.

Analgesics may provide temporary relief but if diagnosis delayed the risk of complications might increase.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back to me if you have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery.