Swollen testicle with sharp pain in abdomen, kidney and left thigh, left scrotum numb. Had taken Cipro earlier for same symptoms. Any advice?

About a month ago my left testicle swelled up by a factor of approximately 4. I exprienced sharp pain on my abdomen, kidneys an inner left hip/thigh. I went to emergency room and doctor prescribed 2 antibiotics, one of which was cipro, after an ultrasound and anti-inflammatory IV. The pain and swelling had subsided considerably by the time a week had passed since going through my antibiotics. However, the same symptoms have returned and the same testicle has extremely swelled up! I haven't had any sex in between. I however killed a spider by my bed last night. Incidentally, I sleep in basement crawling with all sorts of insects.I'm wondering whether the spider could be the culprit as part of the left part of my scrotum is numb and seems to be tender
also there is pain on the testicle proper. The part of the scrotum skin which is a little numb has course feel to the touch and the left part of th whole scrotum has hardened
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

From your description, it looks like recurrent epididymitis or probably allergic response to the spider bite.

If you are experiencing severe / excruciating pain with this swelling, it needs immediate medical attention to rule out torsion.
Careful examination and some relevant investigations like complete blood count, ultrasound abdomen and urine tests will help us in narrowing down the possibility.

I understand you are concerned with these symptoms recurring again. You may try some oral antiinflammatory drugs like ibuprofen 400mg. Do visit your physician for examination and relevant tests. Antibiotics and antiallergic medications are entailed.

Meantime as you plan your visit, you can also try the following treatment options:

1) Apply cold compresses on the testicle. This will reduce the swelling inside.

2) Secondly, avoid lifting heavy weights till you are completely fine, try to maintain a healthy weight, quit smoking (if any) and eat high-fiber foods.

3) Also place a rolled towel under your scrotum when you lie down or wear athletic support instead of boxers.

4) Avoid having rough intercourse till the symptoms resolve.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.