Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen taste buds, white coating on back of tongue. How can I get rid of them?

i got swollen taste buds and white coating back of my toungue for more than 1 month and i have seen 2 speciallist and they said just wait they will gone but they didnt how can i get rid of them?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 3 hours later

Swollen taste buds result from inflammation which may occur due to several reasons like irritation by spicy or salty food, abrasion on tongue, exposure to chemical irritants, vitamin B complex deficiency, acid reflux, exposure to hot drinks and infections mainly yeast infections like candidiasis.

The key to effectively treat inflamed taste buds is to know the real cause of the swelling. If the condition is caused by irritation or reaction to something you ate or drank, such as spicy or salty foods and alcoholic beverages, the swelling will heal on its own with time. Still, there are some things you can do to hasten the healing. If, on the other hand, the swollen taste buds are due to vitamin deficiency, taking in oral vitamin B supplements would help significantly. If the swelling is caused by the acid reflux, the reflux should be treated first by ranitidine, pantoprazole or esomeprazole. To treat inflamed taste buds as a result of mouth ulcers, anti-inflammatory pastes and gels are prescribed. For oral candidiasis you need to apply clotrimazole gel locally and you can take itraconazole or fluconazole tablet orally.

There are certain tips to heal your taste bud inflammation quickly -
1. Leave the tongue alone. Don’t touch or rub the bud because that may aggravate your swelling.
2. Eating ice cream could alleviate or numb the pain that is felt due to the swelling.
3. If the taste buds are swelling due to the abrasion of the tongue, the application of glycerine on the site of the cut thrice a day would help a lot. But never ever swallow the glycerine.
4. Keep a good oral hygiene always. After eating food you should have your mouth wash by chlorhexidine liquid.
5. Don’t consume too much spicy food. If you are smoker try to stop it.

I advise you to consult a good XXXXXXX medicine specialist for getting examined locally and find out the actual cause among the causes I have mentioned and get treated for that. I think you will be benefitted.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you want to know more you can write back to me freely. I am always here to let you know. Kindly write a review on this answer.

Best Regards,
Dr Arnab Maji