Swollen pulsating artery, ear tenderness. Blood tests done. TMJD, headaches. Suggestions regarding the cause?

I am a fairly healty 30 yr old female and for the last couple of months I have noticed a swollen, pulsating artery around my left temple. I say swollen cause it has never been there before and is only on one side. It sometimes becomes tender and the area above my ear is tender as well. Sometimes I get a "crawly" sensation in my scalp as well. I had bloodwork done to rule out arteritis and all came negative. Doctor says its nothing to worry about because of my age but in reality its bugging me. It seems to come and go throughout the day and is more noticable when I am laying down and it the morning when wake up, it goes down after I get up and comes and goes after that. Any suggestions? My blood pressure has always been good, so I know it can't be that. I sometimes get tension headaches but haven't had one in a few months, I also suffer from TMJD.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

I would suggest you to trust your doctor and don't worry about the pulsating artery. The reason being arteritis in temporal artery, is rare and even for your age there should be a definite cause like severe injury, infection of which history you have not written.

Temporo-mandibular joint disorder itself can cause ear pain and sensation of fullness in ear due to which you may get pain or tenderness in the area above the ear.

Please answer these few questions to help you better:-

1-Is the artery seen with pain in or around ear?

2-Is there associated headache when you get this swollen artery?

3-Is your jaw in proper place or gets dislocated off and on?

Please write back with the answers.

Awaiting your reply.