Swollen & painful bruise on thigh after hitting a bulging vein

Oncologist
Question
I hit a bulging vein in my upper thigh and now it is swollen and painful andbruised
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what you are experiencing.

From what you have reported I suspect that you are dealing with what we refer to as superficial thrombophlebitis. This is generally a benign condition which will resolve over several days. I would recommend that you take a few measures of action to help improve the symptoms.

The first thing I would recommend is that you start taking some ibuprofen 600 mg three times per day. In addition I would recommend some warm compresses on the affected area three or four times per day as well for 15 to 20 minutes each time.
The symptoms should slowly resolve over the next 48 to 72 hours.

If for some reason the symptoms worsen or you developed fevers or chills or pain that becomes excruciating you should bring it to the attention of your doctor or visit the emergency department for further evaluation.

These kinds of things can happen from time to time. As we get older the veins in our legs become susceptible to this type of inflammation. It will resolve overtime as I have discussed.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert