Swollen nose with red pimples on exterior, tender internally . May be staph infection ?

ENT Specialist
My nose feels as if it's been hit. Swollen. Red pimples-bumps on the exterior skin. Very red and tender internally. Tender tip of nose. Painful. Might be staph infection. I tried to upload n image but or some odd reason would not allow me to. Please help, need an immediate response.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

The red bumps over the nose over the external surface of the skin could be either acne vulgaris of the face or acne rosacea. The inflammation secondary to the acne is the cause for the intense pain over the nose.

If it is of sudden onset it could be acne vulgaris. Acne vulgaris is a condition of the skin that presents with different types of bumps. It is usually noticed when there are hormonal changes in the body. The chief cause of this condition is clogging of the pores in the skin. Sometimes, the wall of the pore allows sebaceous secretions, bacteria, and dead skin cells to infiltrate below the superficial layers of the skin leading to small, red bump called a pimple or bumps. Particularly, if it is present over the nose it can be very painful since the inflammation will strip the tight skin over the nose from its lower layers.

The second possibility could be acne rosacea, a chronic form of acne formation, which is seen over the face and the nose. This is a relatively harmless condition, usually noticed more in females and particularly in the third to fifth decade of their life.

Without a proper examination, it is very difficult to comment on the actual diagnosis and also the treatment is different for each condition. If you can mail me the images I will be able to help you in a better way. You can mail them to at YYYY@YYYY , with Attention to Dr. Naveen Kumar in the subject line.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon