Swollen intestines, bloating, frequent constipation. Advised ultrasound. Reason for US?

General Surgeon
Question
Why would my intestines be swollen, my doctor felt my stomach and said it was real bloated. I'm always constipated, last time I had a bowel movement was 6 days ago. He sent me for an ultrasound, what is he trying to rule out? Stomach cancer maybe?! :(.

This is for my sister.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 6 hours later
Hi
Distension of stomach can be due to may reasons.
Simple infection of gut,Constipation,Intestinal obstruction etc can cause this.
As you did not pass stool since 6 days,it may be the reason for bloating.
Please drink plenty of water.
Take high fiber diet.
Please take Lactulose solution daily.
It is better to go for X XXXXXXX abdomen in erect posture before Ultrasound abdomen.
Stomach will be in upper part of abdomen and any growth in it can lead to obstruction sometimes and it is confined only to the upper abdomen.
Ultrasound sometimes shows growth in colon which may cause bloating.
IF the bloating is not relieved with lactulose solution and dietary measures,Enema has to be given.
Hope the problem is due to constipation
Wish her good health

Follow-up: Swollen intestines, bloating, frequent constipation. Advised ultrasound. Reason for US? 11 hours later
If we're stomach cancer what other symptoms would I be having?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 24 minutes later
Hi
As i told ,stomach will be present in the upper part of abdomen.
Initially,there will be non specific symptoms like upper abdominal pain,vomiting.
LAter,blood will be seen in vomit.
The symptoms you are having are not related to stomach cancer.
A simple test like Upper GI endoscopy will confirm whether there is cancer in stomach or not.
Hope everything comes normal .
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Swollen intestines, bloating, frequent constipation. Advised ultrasound. Reason for US? 51 minutes later
Why do I get under my left breast, shoulder and shoulder blade pain when I eat?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 13 hours later
Hi
Pain under left breast can be due to gastritis.The pain can go to shoulder also.
Please take Rabeprazole with domperidone capsule.
If you come back with reports,i will clarify further
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Swollen intestines, bloating, frequent constipation. Advised ultrasound. Reason for US? 33 hours later
But it only happens when I eat or drink COLD OR HOT if its normal temp it dos t hurt

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 9 hours later
Hi
Most probably,the nerves that are supplying these areas are involved with hot or cold items.